Sunday, April 10, 2011

Capitol Hill

I've never made it to our nation's capital. Having access to PBS, I get all the sight seeing I want from the comfort of my own couch! However, a good family friend has lived in DC for the past 7 years and she turned 30 this weekend. She sent me an invite a few months ago and I figured this was my chance to go. Free flight (using miles), free lodging (staying on the birthday girl's couch) and free transportation, heck even my frugal grandpa couldn't pass up this opportunity.

When I left Houston on Friday, it was 83*, sunny and my friends were headed to the pool. Upon my arrival to DC, it was rainy, 48* and just nasty.
The city was crazy with the potential government shutdown. I was even shuttled to capitol hill (the house side) because my friend was about to be put on furlough and had emergency meetings all afternoon...as you all know, congress reached a temporary agreement so the stress was quickly relieved.

As I waited in an office while the meetings were proceeding, I found my favorite beer in a fridge: Yuengling. This stuff is absolutely incredible but only sold on the east coast. When my friends take trips to the east coast, I pay them a premium to bring back Yuengling Lager. Oh, I definitely had 2 beers in the congressional building. How many of you can say that?!My friend lives just northeast of the Capitol building in a very cool, very old neighborhood. Most of the homes were built in the late 1800's/early 1900's. The neighborhood had lots of small parks for the insane dog population. Just about everyone I saw walking around had a dog on a leash.
So Friday night was a small dinner with the birthday girl, her mom and her mom's friends from Tyler. We went to Rosa Mexicano and had some really outstanding food. I went in with a snobby Texas attitude thinking that they wouldn't compare to the food in Houston. Well, I was humbled right off the bat. If you ever find yourself in DC and want some great Mexican food, I say Rosa's without a doubt. I ordered the Pork Chamorro (similar to carnitas)...which they should have labeled the leg of a T-Rex.After dinner, we ventured to a few bars with all of her friends. Most were cool people but I never met a single person that was born in DC. All were imported from around the country. At around 2:30, we decided to call it a night, but not before stopping at a local food landmark: Ben's Chili Bowl. At 3am, I scarfed down a chili dog and chili cheese fries. Absolutely incredible food. The line was out the door.
So Saturday was spend digesting the late night snack and walking around the Georgetown area. We finally found some time to relax and watch the Masters. That night was spent at a family style Italian restaurant and grabbing drinks at a really good tequila bar...my favorite kind of establishment!

So it's Masters Sunday...the absolute pinnacle golf day every year. And where am I? On a bus...heading through Virginia...to a couple of wineries...for the ENTIRE DAY! It was brutal but once I came to the realization that I wouldn't watch one of the most exciting Masters in years, I just slowly sipped on really bad wine. I am still trying to recover from missing out, but I think I will pull through..maybe.

I had a great time in our nation's capital and hope to return very soon...but only when the weather is a lot warmer.


Numerical Summary for the weekend:

62 - warmest temperature experienced this weekend. I had to bust out the warm clothes for this trip and they will be going right back into storage once I get back to Houston.

4 - pounds gained (estimated) this weekend eating insane portions...oh and the beverage consumption didn't help either. I was hoping that walking around town and at the wineries would help. Darn chili cheese fries!

2 - hours spent watching the Masters this weekend. A personal all-time low. Please forgive me golf gods.

No comments: