Saturday, April 2, 2011

Smash It Up!

So instead of blogging about golf this go around, I figured I would reach out to my music lovers. I fly solo and live on my own so in my free time, I listen to a ton of music. There is something about finding new genres, new artist etc that helps grow my ever-expanding music library. A co-worker of mine is very well connected to the indie/electronic scene. She gave me a couple of links for me to pass along.

Oh, and these sites all have FREE (and legal to download) music.


Hood Internet
I fell in love with Hood early last year with their 'mashed' tracks. They take a couple of songs and mash them all together. For example, they take the lyrics from a rap song and mix it with the melody from an alternative rock track. Check out how they mixed Warren G's Regulators and Toro y Moi's latest.
The Hood Internet - Still Regulating (Warren G & Nate Dogg x Toro Y Moi) by hoodinternet

You can download their latest Mix here.
Also, check out the free mash up from Girl Talk here

RAC Remix
These remixes take the original songs but tweak them just enough to make them unique. RAC (Remix Artist Collective) has a website that allows you to listen to about 100 songs and about 90 are free to download. The CSS - Let's Make Love and Listen From Above is by far my favorite RAC remix.
RAC Portfolio by RAC


RCRD LBL
This website is Indie heavy but also feature some really great remixes. They update their site regularly with free songs to download. This site definitely is one of the best if you want to a diverse group of featured artists and genres. I spent a couple of hours on this site sampling and downloading once I heard about it.


MySpoonful
I love this site because it features artist that most of the general public have never heard. What I like about the site is they give you both the genres and who they most resemble in mainstream music. This is definietly a portal for the unknowns to get their music out to the fans.


Also, my co-worker told me about this site that features the top 10 sites for free music downloads. Some of the sites are in this post, others are not. Happy downloading!



Numerical Summary for the Week:

7- meals consumed this week that were of the Mexican cuisine. I always told myself I could never get tired of tortillas, meat, cheese, rice and beans...but I am pushing it!

8.5- hours expected to work at the Final Four today. I am to arrive at 2:30 and then probably be able to leave around 11. It will be a great experience, but I WILL be tired tomorrow. If you see a sun burned fellow in the media area, underneath the baskets, on TV (probably wearing a bright shirt)...that's me.

0- common sense used by yours truly at the pool yesterday. Sun? Check. Pale Skin? Check. Suntan lotion? What's that?!?! Lobster red on the chest and stomach? Check. Pale Back? Check. It's officially pool season!

No comments: