Sunday, May 22, 2011

More Music...Less Silence

If you know me or my lifestyle, you know there is always music playing. I live alone so the silence is usually filled with either Slacker or Pandora online radio. The last time I posted about music, it was more about websites, etc. This post is about what I am actually listening to these days. Judge my music all you want, make recommendations, it's all good.

First off I have to mention the best portable sounds system...ever. Sure you have seen the portable speakers for your ipod that maybe pumps some high treble but no bass. This 'sound cube of death' is well worth the sticker price (and extra $100 battery so you can use it off a/c power) and provides ample amounts of all-around great sound.
This is the Bosch Power Box Job Site Radio. The cage around the unit allows it to be dropped from a height of 7' and still operate without a hitch (I haven't tried it yet, nor do I plan on it anytime soon). It comes with a remote that is handy when you are too lazy to turn it up. It can operate in all environments; Bosch recommends just not submerging it in water...duh. It's perfect at the pool, beach, tailgate, etc. It is truly incredible with all the ports to hook up an iPod, a satellite radio dock, flash card, sim card, and cigarette lighter port. If the unit is plugged into a power source, then there are 4 a/c outlets so you can charge your phone, etc.
It has a nice subwoofer as well on the bottom of the cube so you get some nice bass.
Alright, on to the music...

I have been on a Ray LaMontagne kick recently. I don't know if it's me getting older, the dating scene, or my ever-changing life but Ray gets the job done.
Beg Steal Or Borrow - Ray Lamontagne by mickmgmt

Repo Man - Ray LaMontagne by mickmgmt

I also recommend the following songs from Ray: Henry Nearly Killed Me, Jolene, Empty and Three More Days.

Ben Harper just recently came out with a new album and I really like these two songs (Feel Love and Don't Give Up on Me Now)




I would also recommend Amen Omen from Mr. Harper. Darn good song.

OK, onto something more upbeat. Raphael Saddiq is way underrated in my book. I hope he makes it big time cause he has a very unique sound. Here are two of my favorites:





You want something more along the Indie/Alternative scene? Try some of these:

Idiot Heart - Sunset Rubdown
Grown Ocean - Fleet Foxes
Something Good Can Work (RAC Remix) - Two Door Cinema Club
Go (feat. Karen O) - Santigold
Maximalist - Baths
Houdini - Foster the People
Botanist - Guineafowl
Let's Get Out of Here - Les Savy Fav
Stay Too Long - Plan B
Answer To Yourself - The Soft Pack
Under Cover of Darkness - The Strokes
Still Sound - Toro y Moi
Will Do - TV on the Radio
Comin' Through - War on Drugs
King of the Beach - Wavves
My Body - Young The Giant

I hope I have been able to bring you some music you may not have heard of already. Remember, check websites like myspoonful.com and rcrdlbl.com for daily updates of free new music.

Numerical Summary for the Weekend:

60 - hours between showers this weekend. I had every intention to maintain personal hygiene but a trip to the beach and the pool delayed usage of soap and shampoo. Oh I was a sweet smelling dude this afternoon.

15 - pars made on the Cypress course at Cypresswood Golf Club here in Houston. I played with a buddy who just finished his 2nd year at law school. It was a pitch and putt style course but I enjoyed using a sick day!

5 - ingredients used for THE BEST MARGARITA...EVER! You mix a shot of Patron, a shot of Patron Orange, a shot of Triple Sec, the juice of 1 med orange and 2 limes...mix with lots of ice (no salt or sugar on the rim). They are soooo smooth and they hit you like a runaway truck! Perfect while in Galveston or poolside.

No comments: