Friday, March 25, 2011

Halfway to the Big Show

Yesterday, I played in the Pre-Qualifier for the Shell Houston Open. Last year was my first year to play in it and I didn't know what to expect. This year, no excuses. I have been pouring my heart into my game by focusing on overcoming obstacles, staying in the present and playing to my abilities.

The Pre-Qualifier is filled with mini-tour golfers, really good amateurs, and a few people who have no business playing. The top 50 (out of about 145) make it to the Monday qualifier with the Nationwide and PGA Tour guys not yet qualified for the Shell.

Last year, I found myself on the bubble by shooting a disappointing 76. I was on the right side of the cut line until the final group of the day knocked me out of the Top 50 and I was absolutely devastated. With all the stuff on and off the golf course, it took some time to recover. Needless to say, I picked myself up and continued to give God thanks for the talent he has given me.

Thursday's tee time was one of the first of the day, which is what most golfers prefer. The two other guys in my group were a mini-tour veteran and an assistant pro out at Redstone Golf Club. Very nice guys so that helped with the nerves. Too bad they couldn't calm my swing on the first 5 holes. It was army golf: left, right, left, right. Finally, I got the nerves, mind and swing in check and started rolling in some much needed birdies. I signed my scorecard for a 75, my stomach churned, emotions were running high but I didn't want to see where I stood...back to being on the bubble. Not again. Please Lord, not again. After the morning groups finished, I was sitting at T-26th. Slowly the afternoon guys finished up and I started dropping in the standings. Tied for 30th...then 32nd...then 37th. At one point, there were 36 guys still yet to finish and I was tied for 39th place. Doing the math I prepared for another kick in the stomach. My dad was watching scores updated online so I shut off the computer and went to dinner. The appetite was gone and then the phone rang at about 7:30pm...it was my dad...just calling to say that I made it...right on the cut line.

The relief I felt really is indescribable. The emotional roller coaster was finally over. Time to celebrate and give thanks to God. I have struggled with letting go of certain things in my life and this was a prime example of me worrying instead of giving it the big guy.

In order for me to advance to the Shell Houston Open, I need to place in the top 4 out of another 145 guys. A score of about 10 strokes less than yesterday will be required. Sure it seems like a long shot, which it is, but I will have no expectations about it and just go in excited to play with the big boys I see on TV.



Numerical Summary for the week:

15- congratulatory emails/phone calls/texts I received from various co-workers today after hearing I made the cut. Really meant a lot to know so many people were following. I better not let the fan club down!!

80- high temperature yesterday during the qualifier. We were required to wear pants. My goodness summer is going to be a hot one.

2.5- hours spent on the course after work each of the last few nights. Oh how I love daylight savings time!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Congrats!!! That's really awesome!

Smith Family said...

We are cheering you on! We are proud of you know matter what and glad you got back out there! Daniel says "go uncle shane"!