Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Wilderness Golf Course...They Ain't Lyin!!

Yesterday I took a mini road trip down to Lake Jackson, TX to play a course I really have grown to enjoy. If you are in the Houston area, it is well worth the 45 minute drive south on Highway 288. The Wilderness is another one of those outlying courses that totally removes you from the city life and just relieves any and all stress. The course is surrounded by a bird sanctuary and a bayou...I can only imagine how humid the course can get in the summer time.

The green fees are reasonable at $53 for weekend rates including cart (just mention online coupon). The course doesn't get a whole lot of play being in a small town so the course conditions, primarily the greens, have never disappointed this picky golfer. The fairways were coming back from their dormant state but still had great coverage. The layout of the course is pretty simple, but they make it difficult with an ample amount of trees, bunkers and water hazards.

Enough of the technical aspects, let's get on with the stories!!

The area is known for the outdoors...camping, fishing and hunting. Just so the golfers felt right at home, the carts were designed in camouflage.

I have no problem playing as a single and getting paired up with locals. Usually I get paired up with senior citizens or middle aged men. Today, however, I was paired up with two high school kids. They attended a private school there in Lake Jackson. As they struggled most of the round (but managed to hit the occasional good shot), I started to think of who they vaguely resemble. On the 13th hole, it hit me...I was playing with Chunk from The Goonies and the kid from Up!


As I mentioned earlier, the course is surrounded by a bird sanctuary. They are very adamant about golfers staying out. I get it, don't mess with the abnormally large black birds. However, as I went to 'relieve' myself on the course, I noticed this sign and quickly decided I no longer had the need to 'go'.Yea, that is an electrical fence around the course. I can only imagine how many inebriated male golfers have ignored that sign when draining the bladder. I even asked the kids I was paired with how much money it would take for them to touch the fence. They didn't bite. Oh well.


When I get tired of the same courses, I find it a nice change of pace when I fill up the gas tank and drive to the outskirts of civilization.



Numerical Summary for the Weekend:

14- hours of basketball watched since Thursday. I know that is probably a bit low as compared to previous years, but when your team isn't in the dance, you lose interest in a hurry.

8- number of organic fruit snacks I have consumed in my weekend of house sitting for my sister. I do love my nephew's taste in snacks. However, I need to get him on Fruit Roll-Ups.

1 comment:

shannonmichaelis said...

Organic fruit snacks rock! :-)