Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Weekend Shenanigans

This past weekend, I met up with some of my friends' friends here in Houston. They were from East Texas and I had met them at a wedding back in November. I didn't have the faintest of ideas as to what they had in mind...I was just told to answer the phone once they called.

Friday morning was spent on the golf course enjoying a free round at the Tournament course at The Woodlands Country Club (thanks Eric for the hook-up). The weather was absolutely perfect...so good that the guys I played with wanted to walk and carry. I hadn't hoofed it on a course in I don't know how long. If I do walk, I usually rent a push cart because there has been research done that even with a double strap bag, it still compresses the spine which is not good for the back. Needless to say, I was whipped after the round but knew I had a long night ahead of me.

Fast forward to 6pm and my sister called me to go eat an early dinner. Hey, I am always down for dinner...especially if I get to see family and the tab is picked up by the brother in law. We finished dinner around 7 so I went home to wait for instructions from the out-of-towners. I waited...and waited...and waited. Finally around 10pm, I got the first phone call which apparently was just to touch base (I think they called to see if I was still awake). The clock struck 11pm, the phone rang and I was out the door with a redbull in hand.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy going out just as much as the next person, but to start so late was something new to me. Oh, and the area of town I was to drive myself to was not my favorite: Washington St. It's the new up and coming area for Houston twenty somethings. I hadn't spent too much time on Washington because it just isn't my scene (more of an Upper Kirby, Midtown kind of guy) but I figured I would suck it up and just prepare myself for anything. I park in some random lot, pay the attendant $10 and little did I know, that would be the last time I would have my hearing.

I walked into Ei8ght and immediately was blown away by how many people had the same idea as these East Texans. The place was packed, the music was actually pretty decent and I was glad I picked up some cash at the ATM because the bar was uber-crowded. As I made my way to the back, I started making mental notes of the characters I encountered:

The Pack of Creepers. Usually a pack of 3-5 outcast males, probably employees of the Apple store and guaranteed to have an account with World of Warcraft. Sure, one of the guys probably heard of this place from his younger hip sister so this was their night on the town.



The Clothes Optional Girls. Do I really need to explain? Are you wearing lingerie or actual clothes? You know, my wandering eyes appreciate your choice of attire for the evening, but your attracting the wrong kind of attention.

**No Picture or Video here...This is a PG-13 blog**


The Cookie Cutter Guys. Jeans...check. Starched button up dress shirt with tiny animal embroidered on left chest...check. Boots/loafers...check. Metal alloy watch...check. College ring...check. Way to be original guys.


Jersey Shore Rejects. I do like the fake tan in early March. Your dance moves are a mix of fist pumping, full body convulsions and when all else fails, thrust the pelvic region as wildly as possible. I don't know where you bought your shirt, but it looks like you got ripped off because it looks a tad small and there is a huge ink spot that vaguely resembles an eagle or old English letters.


Bar Squatters. These people are ALWAYS at the bar and might as well set up camp. If you are a guy, you are making sure you know just about every girl has to walk your way. If you are a girl, you are a cheap skate and hoping some guy buys you a drink. Yea, I am on to you and your scheme.



I do enjoy people watching every time I go out on the town. With all of the diversity here in Houston, you are guaranteed to find some interesting characters. Every time I am out on the town, I always try to find a good story to share with friends and co-workers.



Numerical Summary

6 - days until my big qualifier I play in every year. It's always a long shot, but I do enjoy playing with some incredibly talented amateurs/pros.

4 - hours of sleep I managed to get last night. Darn you St. Paddy's Day and all your activities (more to come later on).

0 - productivity today as a result of said holiday. That, coupled with the NCAA tournament makes it very difficult to do much.

48 - dollars it cost to fill up my brother-in-law's mini cooper. You would think a car the size of a big mac box would have a small tank...not so much. And when premium is at $3.65, it doesn't take much to deplete the wallet. I am taking car of the car, house and dog (not in that order) this weekend while they go skiing.

No comments: